Thirty-two years ago today, half a million Simon & Garfunkel fans gathered together to bear witness to one of the greatest live performances of all time. (Happy Anniversary, Concert in Central Park!) Click to watch the entire concert!
Great Things About Simon & Garfunkel’s Concert in Central Park, September 19, 1981, in no particular order:
- Artie’s reaction to the audience, from his excited “Woah!” upon seeing them to asking them if they were cold (how sweet is that!?), he was apparently as thrilled with the audience as they were with him.
- Paul’s thank you speech that sounded so innocent and yet had some very sarcastic little jokes, and Art’s amused reaction throughout.
- Artie saying, “I’m sooo in the mood” and Paul’s turning to the band to shout, “Hit it! 'In the Mood'!”
- April Come She Will - Especially so soon after Laurie Bird’s death. Heartbreaking.
- Having The Sound of Silence as an encore. Very odd choice of song placement, and completely magical.
- The Boxer - Paul’s little glance at Art, and Artie’s little half-hugging Paul immediately after the line “After changes upon changes we are more or less the same”. Overwhelmingly touching moment. I don’t know how much to believe Paul’s comment during the press conference that he couldn’t get along with Artie… or Artie’s reaction to that comment, but I want to believe that it was mostly for show and laughs, like The Breakup.
Hey, remember when Legacy used Paul Simon’s birthday as an excuse to release a compilation album last year? Well, it’s that time again! On October 15th, two days after Paul’s birthday, we will see yet another re-release of a bunch of songs that are already available to buy, except this time it’s a little bit cooler. With this fifteen disk box set you will be getting all of his solo albums — that’s right, even The Paul Simon Songbook — along with two live albums and over thirty bonus tracks. Averaging at about $9 per album, it’s a pretty great deal. I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised with this one. No “special booklet” to hike up the price, original cover art, simple yet elegant packaging… overall a really nice box set.
Manchester, England 1967
Simon & Garfunkel after finishing at performance of The Sound of Silence in France, 1967